Saturday, January 4, 2014

Surprise Date Night INDEED

After dutifully running 2.65 miles in the blistering cold wind (ugh what weather for 2014's first run!), I relished in another episode of Supernatural before a languorous long shower. Pampering and dolling up, I wore the dress my man picked out for me (awesome right?) and MacGrubered a belt to make it all fit. I met him at Garrett's. A lovely little sandwich shop at the corner of Meadow and Park. When I say little, I mean 8 tables. When I say sandwiches I mean amazing gourmet combinations that fill you up and make you feel fancy inside. While we were there, a middle aged couple sat at the table behind us and in what felt like 2 minutes the gentleman turned around and offered us two tickets to the VCU Rams game that very night, with a parking pass. At first I thought maybe he was trying to sell them. J, being a lot less cynical than I, asked him why they wouldn't want them. He said, "we're old, we're already out. You take them. they should be pretty good seats." 

It's hard to express how humbling this experience was for J and me. We tried to repay their kindness and covered their drinks. In reality though, they gave us a way to make our surprise date night so much more special. We thought we would oh out to dinner and that was that. Basically that was all we could afford. It was so much fun to be back on campus and back in the Siegel center. Even if I was no longer sitting in the student section, and I no longer recognized people in the band (actually I was surprised that one or two people that started in '07 with me were still playing), I felt "home" and certainly young again.

So, while I doubt that couple will ever stumble across this blog post, I want to thank them from the bottom of my heart. It may not have seemed like much to them, but it was a night J and I will never forget. 

Love,
Brooke

No comments:

Post a Comment